Annapoorna Charitable trust, established in the year 2004, started working on its major important goal of establishing a home for the deprived children of the society. To fulfil this, “Balya” a free home for children was established in the year 2005.
Balya started functioning with the first two children Phalguni and Vaishaki in March 2005. This has blossomed into a home giving shelter, hygienic food, clothing, education and other opportunities for learning activities like music, dance etc to about 55 deprived children by year 2011.
In the academic year 2010-11, 32 children were attending Kannada medium education in National School in Basavangudi, Bangalore.
Eighteen children were attending Saroja Memorial English School in Ullal main road.
- To go forward, the Trust approached Government of Karnataka for permission to establish a school from class 1 to 5 initially to start with.
- The Trust got the required approval for establishing the school within the premises of Balya
- Trust has started working on establishing school and successfully launched Balya Vidya Mandir from 1st June 2011 in the second floor area of Balya resident home.
- Required teaching staff has been brought on board.
- Classes started functioning in all seriousness following prescribed syllabus of the government.
- Resident children in Kannada medium have now all been shifted to this school.
- In addition, poor and deprived children living in the vicinity of the school and have no means to attend the school have been brought and admitted to this school.
- These children are provided with required text books, stationary, uniform and midday meals free. Trust wishes to admit more such children in the next academic year.